Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Theme A Day e-Journal Entry 24

Prompt 15: Write about something you volunteered for or to do.

Volunteering is an important part of my life and who I am.

I often have to make sure I don't volunteer too much.

I remember as a child I would volunteer to do projects (e.g.go door to door collecting money for Harvest Ingathering - now called ADRA) for church partly to get out of doing house work - but that didn't fool my mom who made me do my chores.

When I au paired in the USA I joined a volunteer program where I called an old lady once a week just to chat. If I picked up that she was not well or did not answer her phone I could alert the organisation who then get some help in.

Worked as a volunteer Nature guide near Port Sheptstone, South Africa. It was something I could do with my daughter in a pouch.

When I arrived in Northern Ireland I volunteered at the CAB (Citizens Advice bureau) for 6 months or so.

Now most of volunteering is around children - baby sitting, tutoring, teaching in church etc.....

No comments: