Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Tips for colds and flus

You can guess whats happening to me.
Yip , after a great holiday with family, I have gotten sick. ARGHHHHHHHHH.
The over-counter medicine does not seem to be helping and now my ear has gotten sore.

Planning to go to the pharmacist and if that does not help I will have to make a doctors appointment.

In the process of looking for some things I could do for myself I found this article of WebMD:

9 Tips to Treat Colds and Flu the 'Natural' Way




My doctor in South Africa gave this remedy - it worked for me. I felt very uncertain whether I was following his directions correctly, the first time I did it.
Using toooo much salt can cause discomfort and a headache, so be careful.

The simple regimen of performing a nasal wash is quite akin to the jal neti of yoga. This entails boiling some water in the morning for at least 5 minutes and then allowing to cool till it is lukewarm. Now fill a glass (approximately 250 ml.) with this water and add a heaped teaspoon of salt. Now take a 10 ml. Syringe (plastic disposable used for injection without the needle) and fill it. Alternately you can use a small utensil which is called sagar (and has a spout). Go to the washroom and standing in front of a mirror with the washbasin below, tilt your head backwards and pour the solution in one of the nostrils. Allow the solution to go in and then bring your head forwards so that the solution can come out. Repeat the process in the other nostril. And also keep on doing it alternating it in the nostrils till the glass is empty.




3 comments:

Dr.Post said...

Hello,

The best way that I've found to treat a cold is a three part process:

#1) Treat is EARLY -> What do I mean by this? As soon as you start to feel a cold coming on go and do steps #2 & #3. When do you start to feel a cold coming on? This is different for everyone. In my case I start to feel a scratchy feeling in the back of my throat and very mild sore throat.

#2) Get adjusted! Go to your local favorite chiropractor and get your adjustment. This has been shown to improve your immune response and will help you get over your cold FASTER.

#3) Drink HOT GINGER TEA a number of times throughout the day when you feel #1 (above). If you wait too long you won't receive as much benefit.

These steps have worked wonders for me and should be kept in mind the next time you feel a cold coming on.

Dr. Post
Alternative Health Warehouse

Anonymous said...

Hey there!

Guess what my HoT bottle topic is about?! How funny is that!?!

We're cyber soul mates.

Cheers.

MommyWizdom

Anonymous said...

Ah.. the neti pot. My mother was always trying to get me to try one but she could never persuade me to. It kind of.. scares me.

Whenever I feel a cold or flu coming on, I usually stock up on Gatorade and rest, A LOT. If anything, those two things seem to help me the most than not doing them at all.

I also eat a lot of oranges and drink chamomile tea with lemon.