Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Tunes without a cause

The title of this conversation reminded of my last year at school. In South Africa its called your matric year. It was 1993 and we had been through a very rebellious time in our history. The teachers also had a very long strike leaving us to our devices and we were also forced to take alot of our education into our own hands.

Our prefect training camp was a semi-disaster. Only the guest speakers I organised turned up. The teachers didn't try to fill in time , so once again we were left to own devices. You can imagine what went on. In the end two boys were told that they were going to lose their prefect badges. Their badges were taken away in front of the whole school. It was a joke cause most of the school knew that they were not the only ones to misbehave including the Head Boy and Head Girl.

We were really mad and here was our opportunity to rebel.
We organised a silent protest. We didn't wear our prefect ties or turn up for duty.

It the end we got long speeches but we won. The two boys thanked us but decided that they didn't want to be prefects anymore.

Normally I would have suggested taking our grievances to principal, I was pretty sure he would listen to me. But i really got caught up in the excitement of fighting for a cause. it was fun but now that I think about it, it was a bit overboard.

2 comments:

Miss Noone said...

Hi there! I moved here in 2006 from the Philippines. Loving it so far - except maybe for the horrible weather! I was just in Belfast two weeks ago! Where abouts are you?

Blueberry Junkie said...

Hi Simone, just taking a peek at your blog. I like your school story.
Thanks for checking out my blog. Cheers!!

***via "I like your blog 3" swap***